Halkova is a sweet made of all-purpose flour, sugar, and ghee.
The best memories usually are from our childhood.. most of the moments I fondly cherish belong to the time we lived in Kadur. Kadur is a small town in Karnataka. During our childhood, the first shops that we visit on our own are the small shops present near our schools and homes.
These shops contain a variety of sweets, chocolates, and cute stationery. Every time I went to such shops, it was only to buy one thing, Halkova… which to this day I am very fond of. Every day on the way back from school I would definitely buy halkova.
I clearly remember that for two rupees I would get four pieces, which I would enjoy on my way home. Observing this my father once bought a whole box of Halkova for me from the shop I visited every day.
After we moved to Andhra Pradesh, I searched a lot for Halkova..but nothing matched the texture and taste of what I used to eat in Kadur. That is when I started searching for its recipe, here is the recipe of halkova for all those people who miss it.
I have tried it a few times to get the correct texture.. so I think I have got it right, now.
The measuring cups I used are standard 1 cup( 250 ml) and 1/2 cup(125 ml).
The ratio of All-purpose flour to sugar is 1:1 and ghee is half of that i.e 1 standard cup of all-purpose flour and 1 standard cup of sugar, and the ghee is 1/2 cup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (maida ).
- 1 cup powdered sugar.
- ½ cup ghee ( clarified butter ).
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder.
- In a pan, add ½ a cup of ghee.
- Once the ghee melts, add all-purpose flour.
- Mix well with ghee and roast on low flame for around 8-10 minutes or until a nice aroma comes.
- Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool until it is warm and not hot nor cold.
- Take a parchment paper and apply ghee or oil on it.
- Put that greased parchment paper into a box and set aside.
- Take the all-purpose flour and ghee mixture into a bowl.
- Add in the sugar gradually, and start mixing. Stop adding the sugar when it reaches your sweetness level.
- As you add sugar it gets difficult to mix it with a spoon, now is the time to knead it with your hand.
- Add 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder.
- Knead until it looks like a dough.
- Now put this kneaded mixture into a box lined with parchment paper.
- Level it using a spoon.
- Refrigerate for 15 mins or leave it on the counter for 2 hours.
- After it sets, cut it into cubes. And the fudge/halkova/palkova is ready.
Before you go…
You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen.
You may also like,