Sambar is an easy, tasty and quick side dish for idli, vada, dosa or rice. This is just like the one served at Tiffin Centers and restaurants. Sambar is a lentil-based vegetable stew, cooked with red gram and tamarind broth. It is a dish of great prominence in the South Indian cuisine. It is one …
These vegetarian friendly loaded tandoori veggie and black beans quesadillas are perfect for any weeknight or weekend meal. These are so much better than just plain cheese quesadillas. They have tons of flavor and are super easy to make. These quesadillas are a great Indian Mexican fusion recipe you can try out. If you want …
One of my favorite things to do when I make basic Penne (or any other pasta) and marinara sauce pasta is to mix in a bit of my favorite vegan mayo to the pasta. It creates a lightly creamy texture and I just love it. Today let’s see how I make this Mayonnaise Marinara Pasta. …
Apple Puree takes little effort to make and can be used in a variety of ways. The first time I made apple puree (applesauce) was when my son started solids. WHAT IS APPLE PUREE ? Apple puree is cooked apples that are pureed until even textured and smooth. What is the Difference Between Apple Puree …
Drumstick Masala, a south Indian vegan gourmet stir fry made with simple ingredients. Drumstick/ Moringa/ Murungakkai is a long, green slender vegetable which is commonly found in Indian shops. The flower, the leaves and the whole vegetable is edible. And here is a simple recipe for drumstick masala. Drumstick, the vegetable got the name because …
Paneer Jalfrezi is a delicious, gluten-free, one-pot Indian stir fry (sabzi) with cottage cheese (paneer) and vegetables. It is quick, easy, tasty and takes less than 30 minutes to get ready. Jalfrezi is probably the best side – dish to serve with roti or naan.
The word ‘Jalfrezi’ or ‘Jhalfrezi’ or ‘zalfrezi’ is a combination of two words Jhal + Pharezi. Jhal is a Bengali word for spicy and Pharezi in Urdu means suitable for diet. Hence, a spicy stir fry of vegetables suitable for eating.
Originally, it was invented in eastern India during the colonial era to suit the British palate. A medium-hot Indian dish consisting of paneer with fresh bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions.
Over the years the vegetable jalfrezi became highly popular because it’s so easy to adapt and customize. Plus the taste has a hint of spices yet not so much chili or heat. Perfect for a novice Indian food lover.
I think of it as an Indian stir fry packed with a blend of mixed vegetables, some protein & a lot of spice.
Let’s see the recipe of Paneer jalfrezi
Paneer JalfreziCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Paneer Jalfrezi is a simple Indian Vegetarian side dish made with vegetables, paneer and Indian spices. This easy paneer recipe is made in just 15 minutes and tastes best paired with warm rotis or parathas or naans.
300 Gram Paneer (cottage cheese), cut into strips
1 Cup sliced onion or 1 big onion sliced
1 Cup sliced yellow bell pepper or 1 medium sized yellow bell pepper
1 Cup sliced green bell pepper or 1 medium sized green bell pepper
1 Cup sliced tomato or 1 big tomato sliced (discard pulp and seeds)
1 Teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 Tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
1 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste
2 Teaspoon coriander powder
4 Tablespoon mustard oil or cooking oil
1 Tablespoon Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves crushed
- Ingredients For Garnish:
Ginger juliennes – Thinly sliced ginger
Chopped coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a wok or stir fry pan over medium flame.
- Add a tsp of cumin seeds and a tsp of nigella seeds. Cook for 10 seconds. Add 1 cup sliced onion, fry till onion softens. Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Next, add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup/ sauce, salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder and 2 tsp coriander powder. Stir to combine. cook the masala over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the colored bell peppers( you can use red or yellow in combination with green) , and fry again on high flame for 2 minutes to cook the vegetables.
- At last add 300 gms paneer strips, 1 cup sliced tomato, 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, and gently mix them until all the masalas coat all the vegetables and paneer. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes but do not stir very frequently otherwise paneer will crumble.
- Sprinkle ginger juliennes and chopped coriander leaves before serving.
- Serve Paneer Jalfrezi warm with chapati or naan.
- Jalfrezi is a quick stir-fry and has a crunch to it. Hence, do not cook the vegetables for too long. When taken a bite of bell peppers they should be juicy yet crunchy from the inside.
- Cut all vegetables and paneer lengthwise for this recipe.
- Adjust the amount of red chili powder as per your taste preference. If you want to make it spicier, add sliced green chili.
- Instead of tomato sauce, you can add tomato pasta sauce or canned tomatoes along with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
You can even add slit green chillies if you like it hot and spicy.
My secret to a restaurant-style Vegetable Paneer Jalfrezi is adding a little tomato ketchup. Ketchup adds sweetness and binds this curry well. You may add tomato paste instead with 1/2 tsp of sugar.
How to make Vegan Jalfrezi?
To make vegan jalfrezi either skip adding paneer (cottage cheese) or use tofu instead of paneer for Tofu Jalfrezi. Vegetable Jalfrezi without paneer is naturally vegan.
What to do with leftover Paneer Jalfrezi?
The leftover jalfrezi can be stir-fried along with steamed rice to make a pulao/fried rice or use it as a stuffing for wraps and sandwiches.
Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
You can even put this jalfrezi in a hot dog bun with your favourite sauces(Mayonnaise) and make a Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
Can you make this stir fry ahead of time?
Yes, you can do it two ways-
- Slice the vegetables and paneer and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days in advance and just stir fry when needed OR
- Make the stir fry and store it in the fridge for 2 days ahead of time.
Before you go…
Also, you can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Finally, I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen or tag me @thecraftsandkitchen.
You may also like,
Aloo methi curry or Fenugreek microgreens and potato curry is a simple Indian curry with potatoes and fresh fenugreek microgreens. This is a super easy and super simple curry that can be made in under 20 minutes. This curry is a quick flavorful dish and is an easy side for rotis, chapathis, phulkas. I don’t …
Vegetable Pulao (Karnataka Style) is a one-pot rice dish made with rice, a variety of vegetables, and mildly flavored with various spices. I have given this dish a twist by adding black-eyed peas for added nutrition. Pulao is also known as pilaf, palav or pulav. A perfect recipe for the lunch box. Serve it hot …
Gobi Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese Dish, it has deep fried crispy cauliflower florets tossed in a spicy, sweet and tangy Manchurian sauce. Make the best super delicious and crispy gobi Manchurian at home with this simple recipe. Tastes great with Hakka noodles or fried rice! Also, this dish is vegan. It’s far from authentic …
Badam Puri is an authentic Karnataka style sweet, it is a yummy, soft and crispy sweet delicacy, beautifully layered with a great taste of almonds, milk, cardamom, ghee, and sugar syrup. The texture and taste of the badam puri are very similar to the badusha, balushahi recipe. The only striking differences are the use of …