Hey there! All the coffee lovers!!! I know coffee has played a big role in helping you guys get through this lockdown. Just a sip of ice cold coffee on a hot day or a steaming coffee on a freezing day is enough to lift our spirits. It blows away all our worries and clears …
Paneer Jalfrezi is a delicious, gluten-free, one-pot Indian stir fry (sabzi) with cottage cheese (paneer) and vegetables. It is quick, easy, tasty and takes less than 30 minutes to get ready. Jalfrezi is probably the best side – dish to serve with roti or naan.
The word ‘Jalfrezi’ or ‘Jhalfrezi’ or ‘zalfrezi’ is a combination of two words Jhal + Pharezi. Jhal is a Bengali word for spicy and Pharezi in Urdu means suitable for diet. Hence, a spicy stir fry of vegetables suitable for eating.
Originally, it was invented in eastern India during the colonial era to suit the British palate. A medium-hot Indian dish consisting of paneer with fresh bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions.
Over the years the vegetable jalfrezi became highly popular because it’s so easy to adapt and customize. Plus the taste has a hint of spices yet not so much chili or heat. Perfect for a novice Indian food lover.
I think of it as an Indian stir fry packed with a blend of mixed vegetables, some protein & a lot of spice.
Let’s see the recipe of Paneer jalfrezi
Paneer JalfreziCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Paneer Jalfrezi is a simple Indian Vegetarian side dish made with vegetables, paneer and Indian spices. This easy paneer recipe is made in just 15 minutes and tastes best paired with warm rotis or parathas or naans.
300 Gram Paneer (cottage cheese), cut into strips
1 Cup sliced onion or 1 big onion sliced
1 Cup sliced yellow bell pepper or 1 medium sized yellow bell pepper
1 Cup sliced green bell pepper or 1 medium sized green bell pepper
1 Cup sliced tomato or 1 big tomato sliced (discard pulp and seeds)
1 Teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 Tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
1 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste
2 Teaspoon coriander powder
4 Tablespoon mustard oil or cooking oil
1 Tablespoon Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves crushed
- Ingredients For Garnish:
Ginger juliennes – Thinly sliced ginger
Chopped coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a wok or stir fry pan over medium flame.
- Add a tsp of cumin seeds and a tsp of nigella seeds. Cook for 10 seconds. Add 1 cup sliced onion, fry till onion softens. Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Next, add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup/ sauce, salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder and 2 tsp coriander powder. Stir to combine. cook the masala over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the colored bell peppers( you can use red or yellow in combination with green) , and fry again on high flame for 2 minutes to cook the vegetables.
- At last add 300 gms paneer strips, 1 cup sliced tomato, 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, and gently mix them until all the masalas coat all the vegetables and paneer. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes but do not stir very frequently otherwise paneer will crumble.
- Sprinkle ginger juliennes and chopped coriander leaves before serving.
- Serve Paneer Jalfrezi warm with chapati or naan.
- Jalfrezi is a quick stir-fry and has a crunch to it. Hence, do not cook the vegetables for too long.
- Cut all vegetables and paneer lengthwise for this recipe.
- Adjust the amount of red chili powder as per your taste preference. If you want to make it spicier, add sliced green chili.
- Instead of tomato sauce, you can add tomato pasta sauce or canned tomatoes along with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
You can even add slit green chillies if you like it hot and spicy.
My secret to a restaurant-style Vegetable Paneer Jalfrezi is adding a little tomato ketchup. Ketchup adds sweetness and binds this curry well. You may add tomato paste instead with 1/2 tsp of sugar.
How to make Vegan Jalfrezi?
To make vegan jalfrezi either skip adding paneer (cottage cheese) or use tofu instead of paneer for Tofu Jalfrezi. Vegetable Jalfrezi without paneer is naturally vegan.
What to do with leftover Paneer Jalfrezi?
The leftover jalfrezi can be stir-fried along with steamed rice to make a pulao/fried rice or use it as a stuffing for wraps and sandwiches.
Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
You can even put this jalfrezi in a hot dog bun with your favourite sauces(Mayonnaise) and make a Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
Can you make this stir fry ahead of time?
Yes, you can do it two ways-
- Slice the vegetables and paneer and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days in advance and just stir fry when needed OR
- Make the stir fry and store it in the fridge for 2 days ahead of time.
Before you go…
Also, you can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Finally, I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen or tag me @thecraftsandkitchen.
You may also like,
Butterscotch ice cream is delicious and very popular in India. The crunch in this ice cream makes it so popular and tasty, which comes with the addition of praline. This butterscotch ice cream is smooth, creamy with the right amount of sweetness and of course with lots of crunchy praline in every bite. It cannot …
Dalgona Coffee is a latte drink that comes with a velvety smooth and sweet coffee foam on top. It’s a fluffy and incredibly delicious way to make your morning coffee, the best part is that you can make it without any special machines and takes only 5 minutes! You can make it hot or cold! …
This super easy carrot stir fry is simple, light, tasty and packed with flavor. It is so easy that anybody can make it and the cooking time is only 15 minutes. Carrots are super healthy and in this recipe, we do not cook carrot for long maximizing its nutrients. Carrot fry goes very well with …
Tomato Curry is a simple curry made with few ingredients such as onion, tomato and spice powders. Even beginners can make this curry with ease. It’s the best side dish for chapati/roti. I always make this when am in a hurry. It’s very simple yet tasty! When you are tired and you don’t want to …
In 25 Minutes you will have 2 chocolate cupcakes with frosting all ready to eat and what other reason do you need to make these? Well here are a few other reasons just to get you to make something this awesome. When a chocolate craving hits, or you just want a cupcake to eat and …
Today I am sharing this quick version of an Easy Indo Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles recipe. It is super easy and quick to whip up for an easy weeknight dinner. Believe me, these noodles are way tastier than takeout. Check out my Hakka noodles video below to see how to cut the veggies into julienne …
Honey cake is a well-known dessert in the southern part of India. And in this fast-paced world, everybody likes things instant. That is why I created an instant version of this delicious honey cake. What better ingredient to use to make things instant than bread? In this instant version, the honey cake comes together in …
Granola bars are a healthy and nutritious way to eat all your dry fruits, seeds, dates, etc. These granola bars are also known as breakfast bars, health bars, and energy bars. These bars are completely SUGAR-FREE. There is no sugar in this recipe. These bars are sweetened using dates and honey. Granola bars when made …