Drumstick Masala, a south Indian vegan gourmet stir fry made with simple ingredients. Drumstick/ Moringa/ Murungakkai is a long, green slender vegetable which is commonly found in Indian shops. The flower, the leaves and the whole vegetable is edible. And here is a simple recipe for drumstick masala. Drumstick, the vegetable got the name because …
Paneer Jalfrezi is a delicious, gluten-free, one-pot Indian stir fry (sabzi) with cottage cheese (paneer) and vegetables. It is quick, easy, tasty and takes less than 30 minutes to get ready. Jalfrezi is probably the best side – dish to serve with roti or naan.
The word ‘Jalfrezi’ or ‘Jhalfrezi’ or ‘zalfrezi’ is a combination of two words Jhal + Pharezi. Jhal is a Bengali word for spicy and Pharezi in Urdu means suitable for diet. Hence, a spicy stir fry of vegetables suitable for eating.
Originally, it was invented in eastern India during the colonial era to suit the British palate. A medium-hot Indian dish consisting of paneer with fresh bell peppers, tomatoes, and onions.
Over the years the vegetable jalfrezi became highly popular because it’s so easy to adapt and customize. Plus the taste has a hint of spices yet not so much chili or heat. Perfect for a novice Indian food lover.
I think of it as an Indian stir fry packed with a blend of mixed vegetables, some protein & a lot of spice.
Let’s see the recipe of Paneer jalfrezi
Paneer JalfreziCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Paneer Jalfrezi is a simple Indian Vegetarian side dish made with vegetables, paneer and Indian spices. This easy paneer recipe is made in just 15 minutes and tastes best paired with warm rotis or parathas or naans.
300 Gram Paneer (cottage cheese), cut into strips
1 Cup sliced onion or 1 big onion sliced
1 Cup sliced yellow bell pepper or 1 medium sized yellow bell pepper
1 Cup sliced green bell pepper or 1 medium sized green bell pepper
1 Cup sliced tomato or 1 big tomato sliced (discard pulp and seeds)
1 Teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 Tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
1 tbsp tomato sauce or ketchup
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste
2 Teaspoon coriander powder
4 Tablespoon mustard oil or cooking oil
1 Tablespoon Kasuri Methi or Dried Fenugreek Leaves crushed
- Ingredients For Garnish:
Ginger juliennes – Thinly sliced ginger
Chopped coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a wok or stir fry pan over medium flame.
- Add a tsp of cumin seeds and a tsp of nigella seeds. Cook for 10 seconds. Add 1 cup sliced onion, fry till onion softens. Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Next, add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup/ sauce, salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili powder and 2 tsp coriander powder. Stir to combine. cook the masala over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the colored bell peppers( you can use red or yellow in combination with green) , and fry again on high flame for 2 minutes to cook the vegetables.
- At last add 300 gms paneer strips, 1 cup sliced tomato, 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, and gently mix them until all the masalas coat all the vegetables and paneer. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes but do not stir very frequently otherwise paneer will crumble.
- Sprinkle ginger juliennes and chopped coriander leaves before serving.
- Serve Paneer Jalfrezi warm with chapati or naan.
- Jalfrezi is a quick stir-fry and has a crunch to it. Hence, do not cook the vegetables for too long. When taken a bite of bell peppers they should be juicy yet crunchy from the inside.
- Cut all vegetables and paneer lengthwise for this recipe.
- Adjust the amount of red chili powder as per your taste preference. If you want to make it spicier, add sliced green chili.
- Instead of tomato sauce, you can add tomato pasta sauce or canned tomatoes along with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
You can even add slit green chillies if you like it hot and spicy.
My secret to a restaurant-style Vegetable Paneer Jalfrezi is adding a little tomato ketchup. Ketchup adds sweetness and binds this curry well. You may add tomato paste instead with 1/2 tsp of sugar.
How to make Vegan Jalfrezi?
To make vegan jalfrezi either skip adding paneer (cottage cheese) or use tofu instead of paneer for Tofu Jalfrezi. Vegetable Jalfrezi without paneer is naturally vegan.
What to do with leftover Paneer Jalfrezi?
The leftover jalfrezi can be stir-fried along with steamed rice to make a pulao/fried rice or use it as a stuffing for wraps and sandwiches.
Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
You can even put this jalfrezi in a hot dog bun with your favourite sauces(Mayonnaise) and make a Paneer Jalfrezi Hot Dog.
Can you make this stir fry ahead of time?
Yes, you can do it two ways-
- Slice the vegetables and paneer and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days in advance and just stir fry when needed OR
- Make the stir fry and store it in the fridge for 2 days ahead of time.
Before you go…
Also, you can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Finally, I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen or tag me @thecraftsandkitchen.
You may also like,
Vegetable Pulao (Karnataka Style) is a one-pot rice dish made with rice, a variety of vegetables, and mildly flavored with various spices. I have given this dish a twist by adding black-eyed peas for added nutrition. Pulao is also known as pilaf, palav or pulav. A perfect recipe for the lunch box. Serve it hot …
Tomato Curry is a simple curry made with few ingredients such as onion, tomato and spice powders. Even beginners can make this curry with ease. It’s the best side dish for chapati/roti. I always make this when am in a hurry. It’s very simple yet tasty! When you are tired and you don’t want to …
Today I am sharing this quick version of an Easy Indo Chinese Veg Hakka Noodles recipe. It is super easy and quick to whip up for an easy weeknight dinner. Believe me, these noodles are way tastier than takeout. Check out my Hakka noodles video below to see how to cut the veggies into julienne …
Kala Chana (black chickpea) Pulao, is a protein-rich one-pot meal. Kala chana, also known as black chickpea is a very good source of vegetarian protein and if you are a vegetarian, you should try to add this legume to your diet. This protein pulao makes a complete meal by itself. The Carbohydrates from rice and …
White sauce pasta is an Italian pasta recipe which is very popular in India. White sauce pasta!!! with its silky, smooth, and aromatic sauce made from butter, milk and all-purpose flour will delight your taste buds. Try out this Indo-Italian style creamy and delicious white sauce pasta with your choice of pasta and vegetables. Enjoy! …
Veg Kurma or Vegetable Kurma or Veg Korma is an easy and tasty recipe made using 4-5 different kinds of vegetables, coconut, spices, nuts, and seeds paste. In this post, I am going to show you how to make south Indian restaurant style aromatic and delicious Veg Korma. In this video and blog post I …
Here is the recipe for Indianized Penne arrabbiata known as red sauce pasta. It is a quick, tasty and easy to make recipe for dinner or lunch.
Egg Biryani is a delicious and tasty one pot meal. Learn how to make egg biryani in a easy way with step by step instruction and a video tutorial.