Crispy corn is a delicious dish that can be had as an evening tea time snack or can be served as an appetizer and is very popular in many Indian restaurants.
To all those who have never tried crispy corn, this is the time you must give it a try, I hadn’t tasted it until I visited India last year. All the major barbecue joints have this item on their menu and I can say that this recipe tastes equally good or better :). To all those who have tried crispy corn, this is the best version you would ever get ? It’s simple and no fuss recipe which gives excellent results. Do give this a try. Enjoy!
Crispy corn is a snack made by deep-frying corn kernels and then flavoring the corn kernels with spices.
Ingredients for Crispy Corn
- 2 Cups sweet corn
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 4 Tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 Tsp red chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chopped spring onion’s green portion
- Juice from half lemon
- Oil for frying corn
- Water for boiling corn
- Salt to taste
Steps For Frying Corn:
- Boil some water in a medium-size vessel and add some salt to it.
- Add 2 cups of sweetcorn to the water and boil them over medium to high flame for 2-3 min. Make sure not to overcook the corn.
- Drain the water using a sieve and let the corn come to the room temperature.
- Once the corn cools down, add 4 tbsp cornflour and mix it thoroughly to give a proper coat around each corn. If you are using corns right after boiling then its moisture will help coating cornflour around it, else you can sprinkle some water before adding cornflour.
- Add salt to taste and give it a good mix.
- Once all the corns are well coated with cornflour, then they are ready to be fried.
- Heat some oil in a pan and drop the corns to hot oil.
- Fry then for 2-3 min or till they become crisp.
- Once the corns are crispy, then shake off the extra oil and take them out on a paper towel.
Caution: Be careful while frying the Corns as they may pop while frying. So, add some salt in the oil in which you will fry the corns.
Steps For Seasoning:
- In a bowl, take 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp chaat masala, 1-2 tsp roasted cumin powder and add a little bit of salt after tasting the fried corns.
- Mix all the spices well and set aside.
- Squeeze juice from half lemon over the fried corns and give it a mix.
- Add the seasoning to the corns and 1 tbsp chopped spring onion (green portion).
- Mix this well and your crispy corn is ready to be served. Enjoy!
Note: The key to making good crispy corn is to pick the kernels off the cob and use them, instead of cutting them using a knife. Juicy frozen corn or tender sweet corn is not a good choice to make crispy corn.
You may also like,