Imagine a warm sunny day, gentle breeze, walking down the shore of a beautiful beach. That is my idea of a perfect holiday. Holidays and travelling are the best gifts that anyone could get. They provide a perfect break from the daily activities. If you are a summer person , then a beach getaway is the first thing that would come to your mind whenever holiday is mentioned.
While talking about beach, how could one miss out the topic of skin tan. It is a great way of telling people that you have been to the beach without actually telling it to them. While tanning has become popular as a thing of beauty these days, it’s not as good as it sounds. It comes with its set of cons.
Tanning is basically skin’s way of protecting itself from the UV damage caused by the sun. When hit with the UV rays our skin produces extra amounts of melanin(natural pigment responsible for the colour of your skin) which absorbs the UV rays preventing further damage. Too much tanning may result in sunburns and can cause skin to age and wrinkle faster.
Here I have tried to list down 12 easy remedies which can be practiced with just the ingredients available at home. Most of these are a combination of a cooling agent and a good source of antioxidants.
1. Aloe Vera
It would not be an exaggeration to call aloe Vera as the magic healer gel. Aloe Vera works wonders for skin. It would take an entire article for me just to explain its astounding benefits – Read the article here . But for now I will just explain a simple process to use it.
- Take freshly cut aloe leaf , remove the outer covering and grind it to obtain a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas everyday till the tan reduces.
- For great results, I would prefer home grown aloe Vera over commercially available aloe gel.
Tomatoes have tan removal properties that could put any facial cream to shame. Tomato works slowly but surely.
- Mash a tomato, apply its juice on the affected areas or all over your face.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Or you can simply rub a slice of tomato on your face and wash it off after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this method twice a week. It will not only remove tanning but will make your skin brighter and glowing.
3. Lemon and Honey
Lemon juice contains vitamin c and other antioxidants which prove to be of great help in removing tan.
- You can mix lemon juice with honey and apply it on affected areas.
- Let it stay for around 20 to 30 mins and wash it. (Though for oily skin, honey can be avoided.)
- You can also use lemon juice mixed with sugar as a scrub for a few days.
4. Oats and Buttermilk
Buttermilk derived from curd is a good source of vitamin C and the oats or oatmeal moisturises and cleanses your skin.
- Take 2 tbsp of Oats flour and mix it with 2 to 3 tbsp of buttermilk.
- Apply it on the affected areas and leave it till it dries.
- Wash it off . Repeating 2 to 3 times a week would show good results.
5. Multani mitti and a good source of vitamin c.
Multani mitti provides a sense of coolness to you skin and the vitamin c helps in getting rid of the tan. So this pack works as both relaxant and serves the purpose.
- Mix Multani mitti with either tomato juice or lime juice.
- Apply it on the affected areas.
- Honey and turmeric can also be added to this pack based on your skin types and preferences.
- Repeating 2 to 3 times a week would show good results.
6. Cucumber and Milk
And how can one forget the soothing effect that cucumber tends to have on our skin. Cucumber is a great source of antioxidants which is helpful in getting rid of the tan.
- Take a fresh cucumber, grind it and extract its juice.
- Mix this with raw milk and apply it on the affected areas.
- Repeating 2 to 3 times a week would show good results.
Turmeric helps in reducing excessive pigmentation of the skin hence restoring your natural complexion.
- Make a thick paste by mixing 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp honey and 1 tsp milk.
- Apply this paste and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your face thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy once every week.
Potato juice is often used to lighten dark circles around the eyes. The juice of potato is also known for being a potent bleaching agent.
- Grind a raw potato and strain its juice.
- Apply it directly onto your skin.
- Alternatively, you can also use thin potato slices on your eyes and face.
- Keep them on for 10-12 minutes and wash off once it dries.
9. Gram flour
Gram flour is a must have in skincare routine.
- Add a cup of gram flour to a bowl and mix with a few drops of lemon juice and enough Greek yogurt to create a smooth paste (for a thinner texture, also add whole milk). Next, add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Apply the mixture all over the body, leave it on as a body wrap for 30 minutes, then use a little water to scrub it off and shower as usual.
Sandalwood is a miracle ingredient when it comes to skincare. Being gentle and cooling, sandalwood will not only remove tan from the face but will also improve the tone of your skin.
- Take 2 tbsp of pure sandalwood powder and make a thin paste using rose water.
- Apply this paste evenly all over the face and neck to cover the tanning.
- Let it dry and wash with cold water. You can try this as frequently as you want and watch your skin glow.
This pack reminds me of my days in my grandmother’s home.
11. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is a natural tan removal ingredient.
It is highly nourishing and hydrating for the skin and also helps in restoring the skin’s lost moisture. The Vitamin C and mild acids present in it act as tan removal products.
- Soak a cotton ball in coconut milk and dab it on the skin.
- Leave it on till it is completely absorbed.
- Wash off with a mild cleanser.
12. Ice apple
Ice apple (palm fruit) is a seasonal fruit of the sugar palm tree and is widely available during the sizzling summer. Ice apples can help delay the ageing process due to the presence of phytochemicals that possess strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, helping your body fight off the action of free radicals and sun tan.
- Peel the fruit smoothly such that some of the pulp or flesh is still stuck to the outer layers that you have peeled.
- In this way we can use the fruit peels to cover the areas affected with tan.
- If the fruit is abundantly available, you can use the mashed pulp of the fruit to apply on the face.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with water and wipe dry.
Before you go…
Also, you can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Finally, I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen or tag me @thecraftsandkitchen.
You may also like,