A meal without cooking, can it get better than this? If you’ve ever found yourself in a situation where you are hungry and you do not want to cook, and you are not in a mood to eat from outside or junk food or unhealthy food then here is a no-cook lunch meal recipe for you.
This is an easy, quick and nutritious no-cook recipe. I say it is nutritious because it is made using all freshly chopped veggies and there is no oil.
Let’s define the term”No-cook”. “No-cook” simply means not to apply heat or cook in any way. So, this leaves us free to chop, squeeze, slice, arrange, assemble, dollop, mix, churn, whisk, fold and well, you get the idea.
Lunch without cooking, the idea behind making this recipe is not to encourage you to eat uncooked food but to help you eat a healthy and balanced meal even when there is no facility to cook. If you are living away from your home in a hostel or as a paying guest or you are a working professional who hardly finds time to cook or when you are just feeling lazy or for any other reason, this meal could be very helpful.
In summers when it is too hot and you don’t want to heat up your home even more with cooking, then you can eat this meal. It is hydrating, it is oil-free and there is no cooking required.
Also, this meal can come in handy when you are watching your weight and you want to eat something spicy or chat like stuff.
No gas stove, no oven, no grill, no equipment whatsoever.
This no-cook meal consists of
- Fruit of your choice (or fruit chaat or fruit kebabs or an assortment of fruits) as the starter.
- Puffed rice and dry roasted chana dal meal as the main meal.
- Buttermilk, a drink to finish off the lunch.
Health benefits of the ingredients used in this no-cook recipe
- Puffed rice: Low in calories
- Roasted chana dal: High fiber content, low in fat, and a good source of manganese, folate, copper, iron, and phosphorus.
- Peanuts/Groundnuts: Peanuts are packed with healthy fats and high-quality protein.
- Onion: Onions are nutrient-dense, meaning they are in low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals.
- Tomato: Tomatoes are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, and folate.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are low in calories, but high in water and several important vitamins and minerals.
- Lemon: Lemons are high in vitamin C and several beneficial plant compounds that may lower cholesterol.
Benefits of drinking buttermilk
- Buttermilk has good bacteria called probiotics.
- It contains essential macronutrients.
- Has a cooling effect on the digestive tract.
- Effective against dehydration.
- Provides calcium without the fat.
- Controls stomach acidity.
- Helps wash down oily food.
Let’s take a look at the recipe of the no-cook meal
1.Fruit as the starter
Here I am using watermelon, but you can use any fruit of your choice or a bowl of mixed fruit or fruit chaat.
2.Puffed rice and roasted chana dal meal
- Puffed rice -- 1 cup
- Roasted chana dal -- 1/2 cup
- Onion chopped -- 1 small
- Tomato chopped -- 1/2
- Cucumber chopped -- 1/2 small
- Lemon juice to taste or juice from half a lemon
- Coriander leaves chopped -2 tbsp
- Dry roasted Peanuts -- 2 tbsp
- Chaat masala -- 1/4th tsp or to taste
- Chili powder -- 1/4th tsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder to taste
- Mix puffed rice, roasted chana dal, chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, peanuts, lemon juice, coriander leaves chopped, salt, chaat masala, chili powder, black pepper powder in a bowl.
- Mix well using a spoon or close a lid and shake the bowl well.
- Check for salt and seasonings.
- The Puffed rice and roasted chana dal meal is ready
- 2 tbsp curd or yogurt
- Salt to taste
- One glass of water
Buttermilk is made in many ways but here I am making the most simple and basic buttermilk. I use my milk/coffee frother to whisk the curd and then just mix salt and water. And the buttermilk is ready.
A wholesome no-cook meal is ready.
Before you go…
You can also subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
Finally, I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen or tag me @thecraftsandkitchen.
You may also like,
Disclaimer: Crafts And Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
Links for the products I used:
- Silicone stretch lids
- Milk/Coffee frother
- Measuring cups