Here is the recipe for Indianized Penne arrabbiata known as red sauce pasta. It is a quick, tasty and easy to make recipe for dinner or lunch.
The red sauce is so easy to make that once you make it, you will never buy canned sauces ever again.
Total Time: 30 mins | Serves: 2 | Cuisine: Indo-Italian
- 1 Cup Penne or any other pasta.
- 4 Tomatoes ( 2 if tomatoes are too big ).
- 1 Medium-sized onion – finely chopped.
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ Tsp Red Chilli Powder.
- ½ Tsp crushed black pepper.
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes.
- ½ Tsp Italian seasoning (mixed herbs a combination of oregano, rosemary, basil and thyme.
- 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup.
- salt to taste
- Mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
1.Blanch the tomatoes:
- Boil some water in a medium-sized saucepan and add 4 medium or 2 big tomatoes when the water starts to boil.
- Close the lid and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Take the tomatoes out of the saucepan, into a plate and let them cool
2. To cook pasta:
- Boil some water in a saucepan.
- Add some salt to taste and drizzle a little bit of cooking oil.
- Add 1 cup of penne or any other pasta of your choice.
- Cook the pasta on high flame for around 7-8 min.
- Pasta should be al dente, it shouldn’t be overcooked.
- Drain the pasta and run some cold water over pasta so that it does not stick to each other and to stop further cooking.
- Keep the pasta aside for now.
3. To make the sauce:
- Peel the skin of the tomatoes and put them into a blender jar and grind them into a puree.
- Now, in a pan add 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Add 1 tbsp finely minced garlic and saute it until it turns light brown.
- Add 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add tomato puree, mix well
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix everything well and add cooked pasta.
- Mix the pasta well with the sauce.
- And the red sauce pasta is ready, now let’s see how to plate it.
- Now, into a pasta bowl add a layer of pasta and shred some mozzarella or parmesan cheese and sprinkle a pinch of chili flakes.
- And then add another layer of pasta and shred some more cheese and pasta is ready to be served and eaten.
Note: You can freeze the sauce in an air-tight glass jar container in the freezer for upto 2 months.
Before you go…
I’d love to know your thoughts about this dish!! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #thecraftsandkitchen or #craftsandkitchen or #craftsnkitchen.
you may also like,