How to start a website/blog, build it, manage it and make money?
I have been wanting to start a website or a blog for a very long time and I did not know anything about it and nor did people around me, so I had to google day and night and finally summon the courage to buy domain and hosting and get started.
It din’t end just with buying domain and hosting there were many things involved and I wanted to put them all together in one place so it would be easier to understand what creating a website, building it, running it and earning from it means. Also help people like me out there.
To build a website you will need the following
1. domain name
4. plugins and other tools and
5. your time
A domain name is what people type to get to your website. It’s your website’s address on the internet.
Mine is (umm, obvio) thecraftsandkitchen.com. or think google.com
so think think think!!! what do you want your domain name to be ?
Once you have a name, go ahead and check in any one of the hosting companies (GoDaddy, NameCheap, Domain.com etc) if that name has already been taken. If your domain name is available, you’ll have to decide the extention after the domain.
Now you either want dot com or you want dot your country’s extension.
Once everything is finalized, buy it. There, you have a domain name now !!!
Domain name is like a massive address book which gets updated constantly. And that is why you have to renew your domain name after each term. If you don’t renew, it means that your domain name is available and anybody can buy it and make it their own.
A web hosting, is like the home of your website where it actually lives. It is the place where all the files of your website live.
In simple words, domain name is the address of your website and hosting is the place where your website is. So, when you enter the domain name in a browser it gets translated into the IP address of your web hosting company’s computer/server which contains all your files.
First, you will have to choose a hosting company( like Godaddy, Bluehost, Hostgator, siteground) and then you’ll have to choose the plan either basic/deluxe or ultimate etc all these have different features. Then you will have to decide for how long you want it. If suppose you take it for 1 year then if you want to continue then you will have to renew your hosting.
Go through all the details and choose a hosting company, talk to their customer support if you have any questions and then if everything looks good then buy the hosting.
So now you have hosting.
Linking Domain and Hosting
Domain name and Hosting are 2 completely different things but making a website without any one of these is not possible because without domain names people can’t find your website and without web hosting you can not build a website.
So, now you have domain name and hosting, to make it work all you have to do is link them with one another.
If you bought domain name and hosting from the same company, then as you proceed the companies website will give you instructions and all you have to do is follow. It is easier to manage and renew if they are from the same company.
If you bought domain name and hosting from different companies then in this case you will have to point your domain name to your web hosting company by editing its DNS settings.
WordPress is a powerful website builder and a robust content management system.
WordPress is easy to use and flexible to make different kinds of websites.
WordPress is a free software.
WordPress is SEO friendly, safe and secure.
Domain name is your address, hosting is your home and wordpress is what you use to build that home.
Now inside wordpress there are different themes( is like hiring interior designer for your home) and plugins.
Themes, Plugins, Tools and backup
Themes: Themes are like interior designer for your website. Themes are a collection of templates and stylesheets on which the visual design and layout of the website pages depends. So a theme defines the appearance and display of your a wordpress powered website.
There are hundreds of free themes available from which you can choose. They can be changed, managed and added from the wordpress admin area under appearance.
Plugins: Plugins are apps that contain a group of functions that can be added to a wordpress website, this way you can add features to your website. Most plugins are free.
Backup: There are many plugins to backup your wordpress site. I am going to tell you about the one that is free.
So, to backup a wordpress site for free, you will have to install updraftplus plugin, activate it and follow the instructions.
Digital Marketing, why I brought it up here is because it is the act of promoting your content online and getting noticed. Digital Marketing is simply marketing but online(digital).
Digital marketing Examples:
1. Social Media Marketing
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
3. Content Marketing
4. Email Marketing
5. Affiliate Marketing
In this section, I am going to talk about monetizing WordPress website with google adsense and it is one the most popular ways to monetize your website.
Adsense is based on cost per click ads (CPC), which means you earn money every time a user clicks on the ad on your website and the amount received depends on various factors.
To get started the first thing you will need is a google adsense account. If you do not have one the you can use your existing gmail id to create one.
Then you sign into adsense –>click on sites–>click add site–>enter the URL of your site–> connect your site to adsense. To connect your site to adsense copy and paste the code into the html of your page between <head> & </head> tags. Click done and then google will mail you, when it is connected. If you do not know where the <head> & </head> tags are then you can use ad inserter plugin.
Once it is connected, go to my ads and then click on the new ad unit button.
This will take you to a new screen, where you will be asked to choose the ad type that you want to display on your website.
Next, you need to provide a name(for internal purposes, so name anything you want) for this ad unit and select the ad style, type, colors etc.
Once you are done with specifying all the ad details, simply click on save and get code button.
A message will pop up “ad succesfully created” and you will also see the ad code.
Copy your ad code and paste it in a notepad or sticky note on desktop, you will need this later.
Now you to decide where you want the ads to be shown on your website, usually its in the sidebar. You can add your google adsense in your sidebar by using wordpress widgets.
Go to appearance –> Widgets, drag and drop the “Custom HTML” widget to appropriate widget area and paste your google adsense code in there which you saved in notepad earlier.
Ads will start to appear and you are all set.
Never click on your own ads because google’s algorithm is smart and can find out if it is you.
How to make a YouTube video?
I have been making YouTube videos for about years now and I finally came up with a procedure which I follow when making a video. And now I am going to share that with you.
Total beginner’s guide to video making and editing:
- Think of content or subject for new video.
- Research about it – see for every possible way to do it.
- Plan the video – how to do it, what you will need, what you want to highlight, the purpose of the video, end message and think of how you want your YouTube thumbnail to look for this video)
- Script the video – like writing down the recipe and thinking of what to say in the video, and write down what you are supposed to do during the video( because if you forget, you may have to reshoot the whole thing again). And if you have a website, write a post on the content.
- Shoot – choose a day with good light and shoot multiple shots of the same frame if needed and multiple angles, wide and close ups.
- Photo session – Click nice pictures of what you are making, for thumbnail, social media and to put them in the video. Make your thumbnail picture really attract the audience.
- Back up – Transfer all the content to computer and organise.
- Edit space – Find a quiet, bright place to focus on editing.
- Watch your footage – watch every shot of the footage over and over again so as not miss out on something important.
- Begin to Edit – Mark the best takes and lay them on a timeline ( this is called assembly edit ). Put everything together, roughly following a story line.
- A. Fine Cutting – Removing repetitive stuff. B. Jump Cutting– Removing everything that is not important. C. Add Transitions
- Error Correction – Watch over and over again once the video is ready. In this step you will find out errors if there are any and you make corrections. If you are not able to concentrate leave it for a next bright happy day.
- Render a Copy – You render a copy at this stage just to be safe( if the program of software that you are using to edit crashes or u dint save etc this is the time) and not lose what you’ve created and also if you want to translate this video to another language.
- Building up your edit – Add Captions, B rolls, title, title card at the beginning of the video to tell what the video is about, intro, text call outs to highlight things in video,out or end screen and end msg.
- Narration – is simply you talking about the video or what is going on in the video.
- Working with Music – Mix in your sound at this stage. Turn music down when talking and up when not i.e emphasizing narration.
- Color Correction– only if there is a need for it.
- Add logo – add a small logo at the top left corner or wherever you want to avoid people claiming your content as theirs.
- Finally watch it twice and export.
- Upload – upload as unlisted and then add all the video details such as name, description, tags, keywords etc and end screen, cards and then go public.
- Market your content on social media.